Sens Vs Widnes 22/09/18

The second game of the Sens season was also their second against the Widnes Wild, but at iceSheffield. Last
time out Widnes took a close fought 4-3 win a game which Sens could have snatched a point from in the
dying seconds. The Sens were without Lewis Otley and Steve Weeks, but drafted in two more juniors in
Joshua Aheran and Will Harper with Tom Proctor returning after illness.

The first period started well for the Sens with the first shot of the game a chance that was put just over the
bar, one which should really have hit the back of the net for an early lead. Sens made most of the running
for the first 5 minutes but were unable to take advantage and get the go-ahead goal. As is often the case,
Widnes then managed to score the first of the night through Jakub Hajek pounced on a loose puck after
a strange bounce off Mark Hartley making it 0-1. The Sens hite back almost immediately when Arran Bell
found himself in the corner and played a pass through both D-men to Tom Humphries in front, whose first
shot was well saved but the rebound was put home to tie it at 1-1. Sens continued to push but a powerplay,
one which was totally avoidable for a misconduct, proved costly as only 30 seconds into it Widnes took the
lead 1-2. Again not to be deterred, Sens hit straight back through Truels Lone who stepped out the corner
and put a back-hand short side past Matt Croyle to even it up at 2-2. With just over 5 minutes left Tom Proctor
picked up a knee injury which forced him out of action for the remainder of the game and Sens had to
shuffle their lines around; playing 3 centres and 2 lines of wingers. This seemed to disrupte some of the
rhythm that the Sens had and Widnes were to take the lead again with a minute left through Jakub Hajek
again and the period would end at 2-3

Into the second and Widnes took control, having a good few chances saved by Mark Hartley in the Sens net,
and 5 minutes in a shot from the blue-line was tipped in and gave Hartley no chance. Sens weren’t able to
hit straight back on this occasion though a powerplay chance gave them an opportunity, one which they
almost put it home but just couldn’t get it over the line. Just as the penalty was ending, a turnover allowed
Widnes to get through on a breakaway and made it 2-5. Neither team could take anymore advantage, but
Widnes definitely have the best of the period with the change in lines and rhythm starting to take its toll on
the Sens.

Knowing that they had to try and go all out in the third, the Sens tried to push forward but this left lots of
space at the back for Widnes to exploit and have plenty of chances throughout. Jakub Hejek managed to
take advantage of this, having a breakaway that he slotted past Hartley making it 2-6 and putting the game
well out of sight of the Sens team. A 4-on-3 powerplay allowed Tom Humphries to score his second of the
night with a slapshot high past the glove of Croyle, but it was too late to make a further push. Widnes
put a seventh goal in with a shot from the blue line finding its way through traffic in front to make it 3-7. In
the last few seconds, what appeared to be a goal with Croyle trying to cover the puck but being beaten by
Will Harper was ruled out by the linesman and resulted in a large scrum with both benches joining in but
mainly just pushing and shoving.

A bad night at the office for the Sens, but they would look to move on to the next games and pick up some
points to get the season going.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>